The Associated Press reports that Kris Humphries’ lawyer, Marshall Waller, filed paperwork Thursday seeking to withdraw from representing Humphries in his divorce from Kim Kardashian. Mr. Waller’s stated reason for filing was “irreconcilable differences.”
Lawyers representing clients in lawsuits may withdraw their representation under certain circumstances. There are many instances, however, when an attorney threatens or seeks to withdraw representation during litigation that leaves the client in a vulnerable position:
- Under what circumstances should the client try to stop the lawyer from withdrawing?
- Will the client be able to find another attorney who will do a good job?
- How much will it cost to get that attorney up to speed?
- Will that attorney think the client is difficult because the previous lawyer withdrew?
- Will the previous lawyer say negative things to the new lawyer?
- What fees are reasonable to pay the withdrawing attorney?
- Will the judge think poorly of the client because the attorney withdrew?
- Will the attorney’s withdrawal have a negative effect on the client’s case?
- Can the opposing attorney use the attorney’s withdrawal against the client?
- Who can the client turn to for guidance with these and all other questions?
Being faced with an attorney’s threat or action to “fire” you can be very difficult. Understanding your rights and the different ways to deal with the compromised attorney/client relationship facing you is the best way to navigate to a positive outcome.
You’ve got options. The Center for Legal Practice Reform can help you navigate the attorney/client relationship and level the playing field. Call LPR today for a free consultation – (301) 351-7970.
- Kris Humphries’ lawyer wants out of divorce case (miamiherald.com)
- The Game Is Up: Even Kris Humphries’ Attorney Is On Kim Kardashian’s Side! (contactmusic.com)
- Kris Humphries: Dropped, Dissed by Attorney! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Kris Humphries’ Lawyer Bolts over ‘Irreconcilable Differences’ (blackamericaweb.com)
- Kris Humphries’ Lawyer Quits (4umf.com)
- Kris Humphries’ divorce lawyer quits (contactmusic.com)
- Kris Humphries Now Breaking Up with His Divorce Lawyer (people.com)
- Bad News For Kris Humphries (huffingtonpost.com)